Where would we be without our written history? Here are some of the seminal Masorah books on my shelf.
Introduction to the Tiberian Masorah by Israel Yeivin
- Introduction to the Tiberian Masorah, by Israel Yeivin. Editing and English translation by E.J. Revell
- This was the first book given me to learn about Masorah
- Note that it is more of an excellent reference text and collection of definitions than a novel. Critical to own, reference often.
- Purchase a copy from Barnes and Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/introduction-to-the-tiberian-masorah-israel-yeivin/1002011358
The Baal HaTurim Chumash
A Five Volume Treasure Trove of Masoretic interpretation, with marvelous, enlightening, and meticulous elucidation by Rabbi Avi Gold.
- An essential book to own. Hebrew / English translation
- English translation is excellent and readable
- Footnotes are a scholar’s paradise
- Purchase your copy from ArtScroll Mesorah Series: https://www.artscroll.com/Books/9781578191338.html
- Citation guide: Asher, Y.B., Touger, E., Gold, A., & Reinitz, Y.K. (2000). Baal HaTurim Chumash: The Torah with the Baal HaTurim’s classic commentary translated, annotated, and elucidated (Vol. 1). Brooklyn, NY: Mesorah Publications.
The Wisdom in the Hebrew Alphabet by Rabbi Michael L. Munk
- A charming and informative book, eminently readable and drawing from many sources to teach about each Hebrew letter in Alphabetical order
- ArtScroll Mesorah Publications
- Purchase a copy from Judaica Place: https://www.judaicaplace.com/the-wisdom-in-the-hebrew-alphabet-hardcover/9780899061931/
- Essential text of the Masoretic tradition. Multiple versions extant.
- One version from 1800s available on Hebrewbooks.com
- Author unknown.
- Please reach out to me if you know where I can get a copy of this text.
Torah Q’duma / תורה קדומה by Shaul ben Shalom
- Published by Beit Dagan: Hudayafi, 2012. / בן שלום,שאול. 2012 .תורה קדומה. בית דגן: חודייפי.
- Beautiful edition of the Chumash (Pentateuch) in the Yemenite Tradition.
- First and only example of a printed bible with scribally accurate Otiot Meshunot that I have seen so far.
- Purchased at a Yemenite book store in Bnei Brak, Israel.
- In Hebrew. 2 volumes.
Torah Shelemah by Menahem Kasher
- Marvelous and incredibly rich resource
- Large number of Otiot Meshunot (extraordinary letter variations) found within
- Available on Hebrewbooks.com
- In Hebrew
- List of repeated words/phrases in TaNaKh
- In search of this text
Sefer Katon ve’Gadol
- Book about the Large and Small letters in the Torah
- In search of this text
Otiot d’Rabbi Akiva / אותיות דרבי עקיבא
- Midrash on the letters of the Aleph Bet by Rabbi Akiva
- Special, deeply significant, and multilayered text. Great for all levels of study: Beginners to Advanced.
- Hebrew with English translations available
- In search of excellent edition: please message me with any leads
Kriat Sefer by the Meiri
- In search of this text. Please message me with any recommendations
Note: Library last updated Gimel Av, Taf-Shin-Pei-Aleph